Breads from Rina's Kitchen
A Number One Egg Bread
Makes 1 braided loaf
2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
2/3 cup warm water (110 degrees F)
6 egg yolks, room temperature
3 eggs, room temperature
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 pinch salt
1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Stir in the
yolks, 3 eggs, oil, sugar, and salt. Add about 3 1/2 cups
of flour to make a sticky dough.
2. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead
with remaining flour until smooth and elastic, about 7
minutes. Place in a well oiled bowl, and turn to oil the
entire surface of the dough. Cover with a damp cloth.
Place in a warm place until double in size, about 1 1/2
3. Punch down the dough, and divide into 3 pieces. Roll
each piece into a rope about 12 inches long. Braid the
three strands together, and seal the ends. Place the
bread on a greased cookie sheet. Beat the remaining 1
egg with a pinch of salt; brush glaze on bread. Let the
bread rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Brush the bread with
5. Bake for 40 mins, or until golden. Cool on a wire rack.