Breads from Rina's Kitchen
Makes 2 dozen
2 cups low gluten white flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
1/4 cup chilled lard, cut into small pieces
1/3 cup light cream
water, if needed
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Sift flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar together. Use a
fork to "cut" the lard into the flour until it looks like
coarse meal. Using a standing mixer, or a wooden spoon, mix
the dough as you slowly add the cream. Mix well to form the
dough into a ball, adding water if needed.
3. Place the dough onto a tabletop, and knead slightly. With a
mallet or a one-piece rolling pin, beat the dough a few times
to form it into a rough rectangle. Fold the dough over, and
then beat it out again. Repeat this process until the dough
becomes white and blisters form on the surface, about 15 mins.
4. Roll out the dough to about 1/4" thick. Cut into 2" rounds, and
prick the top a few times with the tines of a fork. Place on
greased baking sheets.
5. Bake for 15 mins, or until golden.