Breads from Rina's Kitchen
Makes 4 bread bowls
2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
1 3/4 cups warm water (110 degrees F)
2 cups bread flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 egg white
1. Dissolve yeast in warm water. Add one cup of bread
flour and one cup whole wheat flour. Mix until smooth.
Keep adding flour, alternating bread flour and whole
wheat flour, and mixing until very hard to mix.
2. Turn dough out on a floured work surface, and knead
until dough is smooth and not sticky. Work as much
flour as necessary into the dough. Roll into a ball. Place
into a lightly oiled bowl, and turn to coat the whole
surface with oil. Cover, and let rise in a warm place until
doubled. Rising time is between 1 1/2 and 2 hours.
3. Punch down the dough, and let rest 10 minutes. Divide
into 4 balls. Place on cookie sheets, and flatten into
disks. Allow to rise for another 1 to 2 hours. If desired,
brush with egg white.
4. Bake in a preheated 375 degree F oven for 40 to 50 mins.
When done bread should sound hollow when thumped on bottom.
Remove from oven, and let cool.
5. Cut a circle out of the top of each loaf, and remove that
part of the crust. Either remove the soft bread beneath,
or compress it to form a bowl.