Breads from Rina's Kitchen
Fabulous Homemade Bread
Makes 6 loaves
1/2 cup warm water
3 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
1/4 cup bread flour
1 tablespoon white sugar
2 cups quick cooking oats
1 cup - 2 cup whole wheat flour
4 1/2 cups warm water
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
2/3 cup white or brown sugar
2/3 cup vegetable oil
7 cups bread flour
1. In the mixing bowl of an electric mixer, stir together 1/2
cup warm water, 1 Tbl sugar, 1/4 cup bread flour, and yeast.
Let grow for about 5 mins. It will bubble almost immediately.
2. Measure oats, 4 1/2 cups warm water, whole wheat flour, salt,
2/3 cup sugar, and 2/3 cup oil into the mixing bowl. Mix on
low speed with a dough hook for 1 to 2 mins. Increase speed
slightly, and begin adding bread flour 1/2 to 1 cup at a time
until dough pulls away from sides of bowl. Humidity determines
how much flour you need before the bread pulls away from the
edge of the bowl. It is normal for the dough to be sticky.
3. Place dough in an oiled bowl, and turn to coat the surface.
Cover with a damp cloth. Let rise in a warm spot for 1 hour,
or until doubled in size.
4. Divide dough into 6 pieces. Shape loaves, and place in greased
8 x 4" pans. Let rise until dough is 1" above rim of pans,
usually 1 hour.
5. Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 mins, or until tops are browned.
Let cool in pans for 10 mins, and then turn out onto wire racks
to cool completely.