Breads from Rina's Kitchen
JP Big Daddy Biscuits
Makes 6-7 grand sized biscuits
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon white sugar or 1 tablespoon honey
1/3 cup shortening
1 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt. (Note: if
using sugar add it to the flour mixture.)
3. Cut shortening into the flour mixture until it resembles
coarse crumbs akin to the consistency of corn meal.
4. Stir in milk. (Note: if using honey add it at the same time
you add the milk.) Mix dough until it pulls away from the
bowl. Dough should be sticky.
5. Turn dough onto a floured work surface and knead for about
15-20 turns. Pat or roll out dough to 1" thick. Cut biscuits
with a large cutter or juice glass dipped in flour. Repeat
until all dough is used.
6. Brush excess flour off the biscuits and place on an ungreased
baking sheet. Bake at 425 degrees F for 13-15 mins.
7. The dough can also be prepared several hours and up to
a day ahead of time. If so, turn dough out onto
aluminum foil that has been either floured, lightly
buttered, or lightly sprayed with cooking spray. Roll up
foil until it is sealed and refrigerate. Don't be surprised if
your biscuits rise even higher because the baking powder has had
more time to act in the dough. Be Patient with yourself. You may
have to make a few batches before you get desired results (desired
results = huge mongo biscuits). Results will improve as you
develop your own system.