Breads from Rina's Kitchen
Makes 1 dozen pretzels
1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F)
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/8 teaspoons salt
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup bread flour
2 cups warm water (110 degrees F)
2 tablespoons baking soda
butter or margarine, melted
coarse salt, garlic salt, or cinnamon sugar
1. In a large mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast, brown sugar,
and salt in 1 1/2 cups warm water.
2. Stir in flour, and mix well. Knead dough on a floured
surface until smooth and elastic. Place in a greased
bowl, and turn to coat the surface. Cover, and let rise
for one hour.
3. Combine 2 cups warm water and baking soda in an 8" square
4. After dough has risen, cut into 12 pieces. Roll each piece
into a 3 foot rope, pencil thin or thinner. Shape, and dip
in water/soda solution. Place on parchment covered
cookie sheets, and let rise 15-20 mins.
5. Bake at 450 degrees F for 8-10 mins, or until golden brown.
Brush with melted butter, and sprinkle with coarse salt,
garlic salt or cinnamon sugar.